Monday, March 30, 2009

Servant Stature...

One thing I constantly pray for is that I will always be a servant-hearted disciple. I hope to live in a low estimation of myself so that I can be fit to serve those who are around me. Christ calls me to humility, not pride and a puffed up spirit. I pray that I will be a person who extends a hand up to those in need. I ask the Lord often to give me servant stature just like Jesus did. My favorite story of Jesus is out of John 13 when He washed the feet of His disciples. In my opinion, this story illustrates the true stature of a servant like no other story in the New Testament, other than Jesus on the cross. That is servant stature in its most glorious form. What does a true, gospel-formed servant look like? I believe a servant is someone who relentlessly pours themselves out for the benefit and growth of others in their sphere of influence. I believe it is a peron who walks blamelessly in excellence, but also realizes that mistakes make them authentic tools of God's redemptive power. I believe a servant is someone who walks alongside someone else and assists them in knowing the Way of Christ, no matter how it comes across to those who don't know Jesus; a person who isn't afraid of living against the current of this self-infused world.

I have had too many examples of servants to even begin to list them all here. Do you have men and women in your life who model gospel-formed servant stature? I sure hope so. I am blessed to be surrounded by people who day in and day out choose to deny themselves and yield their lives to the call of the cross. For that, I am extremely thankful.

"Jesus got up from supper, took off His garments, and taking a [servant's] towel, He fastened it around His waist. Then He poured water into a washbasin and began to wash the disciples feet and to wipe them with the servant's towel." - John 13:4-5

No comments: