Thursday, April 07, 2005

MInistry of Music

I often wonder what my life would be like if music were not a part of this world. For as long as I can remember, the gift of music has been an integral part of who I am. As I stop and think, I remember fondly, getting up on the window seat in my bedroom when I was about 5 or 6 and joyfully belting out whatever song was in my head or on the radio. I have always been one to catch onto the lyrics of a song very quickly, usually after the first time I hear something new and unfamiliar. Whenever I climb into the front seat of the car with my parents or my brother, my first reaction is to push the power button and turn up the volume. I think God created something within me that thrives off the gift and ministry of music. There are times that I yearn and thirst for its power to come and wash over me. God knew that his followers would need a unique and powerful avenue to freely express feelings that could not be formed into mere syllables. In my own life, music is used as an incredible agent to usher me into my communion times with the Lord. It seems to bring a somewhat tangible sense that I am in the divine presence of Christ and that I have an audience with the King and legions of angels. Music's ministry on my journey of faith is not limited to my times of communion with the Lord. I have felt the gentleness and authenticity of its healing through times of tragedy, doubt, disorientation, and confusion. This awesome gift ordained by God's hand has also seemed to allow me to ride on its wings as I have entered many seasons of joy, contentment, and satisfaction. I do have a few stipulations that guide my selection of music, so that it will cause me to grow and to be refined into the image of Christ. It is not at all my intention to imply that if a person listens to Country, R&B, or any other genre of music, they are bad. It is my desire to constantly be devoted to words and images that promote and honor things of God. I have learned over the years that what seeps into your mouth will gradually worm its way into the spirt and heart. Some of my stipulations include purchasing music that will uplift my spirit, bring a message of encouragement and hope, and music that will equip me to serve others more effectively. Some artists that have ministered to my spirit throughout all of its seasons have been Michael W. Smith, Third Day, Zoe, Phillips, Craig, & Dean, Twila Paris, Sarah Lynn Grubb, 4Him, Shane&Shane and many others. Music has left an indelible mark on me that I will be eternally thankful for. May God speak to your heart through the gift and ministry of music today.

No comments: