Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Papa...

My mom's dad, who I've known for 26 years as my Papa, is one special guy in my life. He has taught me so many invaluable lessons. I love him for so many reasons. One thing that I have been richly blessed to winess is his 62 year marriage covenant to my Grandma. My Papa is a man who is righteous, God-hungry, Spirit-saturated, compassionate, very, very affectionate, and so faithful. I have seen the face of God through the gift of his witness so many times I can't even count them. Our family has a tradition in which we celebrate birthdays with a brunch. Papa's birthday was actually January 20th, but we celebrated him today. I always LOVE taking part in these cherished celebrations. It is so much fun to celebrate anyone special in my life, but I especially enjoy celebrating my family members and their very treasured places in my life. My precious Papa served as an elder in his church in California for over 40 years before moving to Abilene. Boy am I glad he moved here. I get to enjoy him and my wonderful, lovely Grandma so much and I absolutely love it. Papa has given me many wonderful gifts as his granddaughter. But, I think my most cherished gift I have ever received from him is his strong heritage of faith and his staunch and ever-deepening belief in Jesus Christ. He is also a man who fervently and relentlessly holds to to his belief in the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. I am so thankful for my Papa. I thank the Lord for his influence, his love, his faith, and his joy. My Papa embodies the man of high favor depicted in Psalm 1 in such a lovely way.

"Blessed is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scronful and mockers gather. But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, and the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night. And he shall be like a tree firmly planted and [tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth fruit in due season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper and come into full and complete maturity." - Psalm 1:1-3

I love you, Papa.

No comments: