Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Historical Day...

I don't get into politics much, but I will admit, it has been fascinating to witness the inaugural festivities for Barack Obama today. I do have my questions though. For instance, how in the world does the White House staff transfer the incoming President's and his family's many belongings into the living quarters of the White House as they move the former President and First Lady out? I watched the Fox News coverage today with such optimism for our country. I am still amazed to think that we have our first African American President. The United States of America has truly come a long way, but the country still has a long way to go. I couldn't help but remember today as I watched everything unfold, that I as a believer have an obligation and an immense honor to pray for President Obama, his administration, his protection, his family, and for the policies he will sign into laws that will govern our nation. My most fervent prayer comes from 2 Coronicles 7:14-16:

"If my people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that My Name may be there forever. My eyes and My heart will always be there."

Almighty Father,
I pray for a spirit of divine wisdom to fall upon President Obama and all of those in his administration who will structure policies that will govern this nation. I boldly ask you to align his presidency with your will. I ask you to cultivate within him a spirit of humility, mercy, gentleness, steadfast trust in You, and an uncomprimising hold to righteousness. Fashion him to be a leader of godliness, faith, love, tenderness, and an unswerving commitment to seeking your face to guide his many decisions. Clothe President Obama, his closest confidantes, and aides, as well as his family members in tenderhearted pity and mercy, kind feeling, a lowly opinion of themselves, gentle ways, and an enduring patience. Give them gentle and forebearing spirits that are very quick to forgive. Clothe them most of all Father, in your love so that they may be able to administer your grace in their daily obligations. Help President Obama to be an imitator of You. May Barack Obama be a man and a President who fully and completely honors Your beautiful name. I ask you, O, Lord to form and shape him more into the image of Jesus Christ so that at the end of four years, and possibly eight, he will come out as a beautiful new reflection of Jesus. Cover him in the blood of Jesus so that he may govern out of a spirit of love, hope, faith, and peace.

I love you Father, because I know that no matter what the outcome of this new administration is, you will still be sovreign, you will still be God, you will still have all the authority, and you will still be a passionate, all-consuming God who pursues and lavishly loves His people and those who don't know you in this world. I give you praise for this Lord. You are so good and so very worthy of all my praise, adoration, all of my heart's affection. I am thankful that I belong to you. Please hear this prayer and attend to these desires on my heart.

No comments: