Monday, February 16, 2009

My Love Walk...

I have been convicted recently to begin to work on how I love others. So, I am starting to work on my love walk this week. Loving others is the one emphatic command God gives me as His disciple in the New Testament. The entire gospel is summed up in one word. L-O-V-E. I sincerely desire my love to be rich, unconditional, deep, and abiding. I want the love I show to others, the love I show to my church, the love I show to my family, and the love I show to my kindred community to be faithful and steadfast. I want the love my life displays to be godly and supremely real above all other things. I want God to be pleased and honored by the way I love. This journey to work on how I love is going to take some time and some intense effort. Learning how to appropriately love takes a committed decision to see this task to its completion. Learning how to love takes devotion. I firmly believe with everything in me, that God will richly reward my desire to take this journey no matter how long it takes, because in the process of learing this quality, I will be transformed, sharpened, renewed, and I will be cultivated more accurately into the image of Jesus Christ. That is what I pray happens most of all throughout this entire time. That is the aim of my entire existence. I have been given three scriptures that I am claiming for my maturity in this area of my life.

"If I [can] speak in the tongues of men and [even] of angels, but have not love (that reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion such as is inspired by God's love for an in us), I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." - I Corinthians 13:1

"Eagerly pursue and seek to acquire [this] love [make it your aim, your great quest]; and earnestly desire and cultivate the spiritual endowment of love." - I Corinthians 14:1

"Above all things have intense and unfailing love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins [forgives and disregards the offenses of others]." - I Peter 4:8

No comments: