Monday, June 02, 2008

Let The LIttle Children Come....

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will not enter it." -Mark 10:14

Wow. Those are very powerful and convicting words. Today, I got to partake in something very special and very holy. I got to spend precious hours with my cousins Emma Beth, who is three, and Lily who is six months. As I enjoyed talking to Emma Beth over her Subway lunch, and listening to her three-year-old conversation, I found myself praying silently over her. I asked the Lord to give her a bold, strong, and steadfast faith. I also asked Him that whatever tiny seed I planted within her soul would take root deep within her spirit when it was time. I was honored to read to her out of a tiny old, tattered book of King James scriptures that my Grandma has kept through the years. At the end, I heard these words form and come out of my mouth,"Emma, these are God's words; they are called scriptures. Anything that God says is very good." Honestly, I did not expect to say those things. I can only think that those words came out of a teachable moment entrusted to me by the Holy Spirit. Thank you, Father.

I got to read Love You Forever which is one of my all time favorite childrens books. There is a point near the end of the story where the grown son is holding, cuddling, and rocking his elderly, sick mother singing, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living my Mommy you'll be." It is at this point in the story that I cry. I think I cry becasue of the tenderness of a moment like that. Today, I saw the face of God through the faces of Emma Beth and Lily. Jesus met with me as I read, as I cuddled, as I changed clothes, and as I loved on two of my favorite little girls, who to Jesus are some of "the least of these."

I praise the Lord for little children. I adore the raw honesty they bring to any situation. I adore the authentic, non-judgmental faith they bring. Thank you, Father, for giving me the gift of time and the gift of memories today. I cherish and treasure these times.

No comments: