Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Favorite Seasons....

There are certain things I love about all the seasons. I love that seasons exist and measure time. It seems that just when I am tired of one season, the next one comes and brings a new freshness and rejuvination to my life. My favorite seasons are Fall and Winter. Some of my favorite things about each are:

1. I love to go to high school football games on Friday nights in the fall. Being a West Texas girl my entire life and having a father who is a rabid fan has fostered this love affair. I love cheering on my beloved alma mater and hearing the drumline play. I love the friendly but fierce spirit of competition in the air. In my family, because my dad is the rabid fan he is, we have to arrive at the stadium at least an hour before kickoff. Oh, the life of an Eagle fan :) I have such fun and fond memories of these times.

2. I love the smells of fall. Cinnamon, apples, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cloves, and that certain smell of burning firewood that is distinctly fall. I love burning candles during this time of year as well. It just makes me feel warm and cozy and it makes my soul feel at home.

3. I love getting all bundled up during winter. I love wearing sweaters, gloves hats, coats, and scarves. I like the fact that during winter, I kind of have to unwrap myself from my coat, my scarf, and my gloves to finally be comfortable enough to stay in a place for awhile. I also love the sense of community that I feel during winter. There is something about this season, that when I am around people, makes me feel alive and warm and cozy all the way down to my core. I truly feel the warmth of community during winter. I feel that there is a tangible sense of loyalty and faithfulness as well as a close-knit bond with those we love during this season.

4. I love Christmas. It is my favorite time of the year. The thing I love most about this holiday is the traditions that make each one special. I love all of the decorations, the music, the festivities, and the special touches that make Christmas special. I love the warmth of being together that surrounds Christmas. I love all of the delicious meals that make Christmas memorable. Most of all I love that Christmas is a time to be thankful for all the things I have been blessed with.

No comments: