Monday, May 23, 2005

Grandma Lillie's New Life

This morning at 1:43 a.m. my great-grandmother, Lillie Averitt, passed away entering the courts of Heaven after living a long 97 years. Sweet Grandma left on her own terms, and we all expected nothing less. This was a woman who was very, very strong-willed and determined. She was a native of San Angelo and held to the very strong core values that make West Texans who they are. Her family made their home on a small farm a couple of miles right outside San Angelo, her brother Ace and his wife Billie still call the farm home. I have to be honest, it has been such a blessing to witness the way in which my grandmother and my mom have compassionately served this precious woman. It has also been very difficult in these last days. She was uncontrollably restless and panicky as she awaited the angels. Grandma grew up in the era of the idea of completing works to enter Heaven, she did not know the grace that God extends freely to those who claim his promise and his way. It has been such an incredibly long road for Grandma Lillie to know complete physical healing! These last few days have been really hard for me to sit back and watch because I had to watch my precious grandma work so hard. To see a woman who has always been hearty and healthy whittle down to mere skin and bone was absolutely unbearable. She was not completely calm and comfortable until 12:00 this morning. She knew comfort for the last hour and a half of her ordained time. One sweet picture that Mom told me about was right before she died when she raised up both of her hands as if she was being welcomed by a family member that had gone before her. As she was reaching out Mom was telling her to find her husband, her mama and daddy, my Mom's first husband, Glenn, and many other cherished people. Now I imagine she is sitting in the lap of Jesus. I hope tomorrow she gets a personal tour of the mansion that has been lovingly prepared for her. Enjoy Heaven, Grandma. Give God a kiss for me. We love you and we know that you are watching down with new joy and fulfillment.

1 comment:

judy thomas said...

It is one of life's greatest blessings to have such a strong woman in your life, Lauren. Condolences to all.