Monday, July 07, 2008

Life According to Lorelei and Rory....

Like most young women in America, I too am very fond of the wonderful show known as Gilmre Girls. It is in my top 5 favorite T.V. shows. Although I own all seven seasons of my beloved Gilmore Girls, I anxiously await the rerun shown on ABC Family at 4:00 every weekday afternoon. I have seen each episode 500 times, but for some reason, I just can't get enough of the wit, the quirky citizens that make Stars Hollow such an endearing community, and the pop culture references. I really enjoy the close-knit relationship Lorelei and Rory share with one another. I like the ebb and flow of the different relationships in each of their lives. I love seeing what sort of pickle Kirk will get himself into. I love Babette's dirty mind, and I love how Luke patiently waits for Lorelei to love him. I just think Gilmore Girls is one of the greatest shows on television. To prove my point, my entire famiy consisting of my mom, dad, and brother have all sat in front of our T.V. in the family room totally entraced in a world dominated by Gilmore Girls. Both my mom and dad have proclaimed, "Lauren, start the next one." This show is that entertaining.

To be honest, I don't think there are a lot of shows on T.V. in our society today that are worth taking the time to watch. You may think I'm a little naieve, but a good portion of my favorite shows have been taken off of the air. One of the shows that I love that has been a victim of this is Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. Some of my other favorites are Leave It To Beaver, Jon & Kate Plus 8, Hopkins, I Love Lucy, and The Andy Griffith Show. I love Barney Fife. As you can see, I enjoy family-frendly shows that center around values that are far from the radar of our present-day society. It seems to me that we have traded wholesome, good-for-the-soul shows in for plain trash that constantly bombards the minds and character of men, women, and children. I have had to make a decision to be very careful about what I allow myself to watch. This is very difficult. I have really tried to shield myself from anything that dishonors the Lord and what He stands for. I have found that nearly every show in primetime and daytime t.v. has some sort of profanity that bilittle and totally disregard godly principles and ways of living. Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one?

2 comments:

Julie said...

I feel exactly the same way about Gilmore Girls! Every now and then I go through phases where I'll watch almost an entire season in a weekend. I love Lorelai's sassiness! :)

Jenny Wilkinson said...

Seriously Lauren, you need to come over next time you're in a Stars Hollow mood (or Mayberry for that matter). I could never get too much.